We are still actively working on the spam issue, the wiki may be restored to an earlier date and account creation may be disabled.
Foobar2000 is a freeware (non-free software), lightweight and customizable audio player with a lot of features and a modular concept. Considered by many to be exactly what you want it to be, minus the time spent to learn how to personalize it.
- Natively supports MP3, MP4, AAC, CD Audio, WMA, Vorbis, Opus, FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, Musepack, Speex, AU, SND.
- Gapless playback and ReplayGain support.
- Advanced CD ripping (even if THE application recommended for this is Exact Audio Copy (EAC)), audio conversion and tagging.
- Easy and complete customization of the interface with or without plug-ins.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
User interface plug-ins
- One of the most used plug-ins: ColumnsUI. A totally alternative user interface allowing for more customization than the default one.
- Almost always used with the AlbumList plug-in. Provide a sortable album list panel compatible with ColumnsUI.
- Wave Seekbar: a popular plug-in providing a seekbar panel made from a waveform. Cool for going to the "quiet" part of the song.
- Musical Spectrum: a spectrum analyzer more customizable (and prettier) than the default one.
Audio formats plug-ins
There's an audio format that you want to use, but you don't find it in the native ones listed? Don't worry, there's probably a plugin for it:
- AC3 Decoder - AC3 support
- APE Decoder - APE, APL support
- TAK Decoder - TAK support
- DTS Decoder - DTS, DTSWAV support
- DSDIFF decoder - DFF support
Now, a wonderful part of foobar2000, it supports almost all video games native sound formats, through plug-ins:
- ADPCM support - CRI ADX, Game Cube ADP and DSP variants, EA ASF/MUS/LIN/MAP, OKI ADPCM, and XA ADPCM support - Nintendo GameCube
- 2FS Decoder - 2FS, MINI2FS - Nintendo DS
- ASAP Decoder - SAP, CMC, CM3, CMR, CMS, DMC, DLT, MPT, MPD, RMT, TMC, TM8, TM2, FC support - Atari
- PSF Decoder - PSF, MINIPSF, PSF2, MINIPSF2 support - Playstation I and II
- QSF Decoder - QSF, MINIQSF - No specific console, Camelot sound format
- DSF/SSF Decoder - DSF, MINIDSF, SSF, MINISSF - Sega Dreamcast and Saturn
- USF Decoder - USF, MINIUSF - Nintendo 64
- GSF Decoder - GBS, MINIGSF - Nintendo GameBoy Advance
- Various console sound format decoder - AY, GBS, GYM, HES, KSS, NSF, SAP, SGC, SPC, VGM
Here are some audio related and user experience related plug-ins. For bitperfect streaming, you have the choice:
Some plug-ins for compatibility with various products:
There are a lot of plug-ins dedicated to tagging for foobar2000. Here are some essential ones:
- MassTagger - A complete and advanced tagging script engine. Read the doc before using it.
- Tagbox - A standalone panel dedicated to tagging, providing more features than the default foobar.
- Quicktag - Provide quick tag editing keyboard shortcuts.
- Musicbrainz - Metadata fetcher (Musicbrainz).
- Discogs - Metadata fetcher (Discogs).
Not everything is listed here (of course), so you can go to the official foobar2000's components page, here. You should also notice that there are non official plugins (probably responsible for the placebotnet maymay) on various sites. Use them carefully and remember that those aren't endorsed and automatically safe. In those, you can notice the praised SoX resampling plug-in.
The Botnet controversy
Some Anon ran an outdated lyrics plugin for his Chinese music. It's just a joke. Use your firewall to see it (hint: there is nothing to see).