We are still actively working on the spam issue.
Build a PC
Building a desktop
Building your own desktop allows for greater customisation and control. It's worth it even though it's harder.
Some common issues when building your PC
- Use standoffs under the motherboard mounting holes!
- Read the manual that came with your motherboard
- Plug in all the power connectors
- If you have a graphics card, connect your monitor to your graphics card and NOT to the motherboard
- Spread thermal paste however you feel like, use about half a pea size amount, if using the stock heatsink don't touch the preapplied stuff
- Install the CPU heatsink before putting the motherboard into the case
- Yes the CPU socket lever will be hard to push down and feel like it's taking too much force. That's normal.
- PCPartPicker - Computer component aggregator and comparison tool dedicated to picking out compatible computer components, allowing one to seamlessly create a desktop.
- Logical Increments - Formerly known as the "Falcon Guide", a good starting point to building a computer on a budget, components are grouped by price point.
- ChooseMyPC.net - Cookie cutter PC build generator, also hosts several guides and resources related to builds.