We are still actively working on the spam issue.
List of recommended OS X software
For a more complete collection of terminal applications, be sure to check the GNU/Linux applications page.
- 1 Package Managers
- 2 Terminal Applications
- 3 File Management
- 4 FTP Clients
- 5 Online Storage
- 6 Network Monitoring
- 7 System Monitoring
- 8 Productivity
- 9 Audio Players
- 10 Audio Tools
- 11 Video Players
- 12 Browsers
- 13 Chat clients
- 14 Mail
- 15 Utilities
- 16 System Maintenance
- 17 Torrent Clients
- 18 Archiving Tools
- 19 Coding
- 20 Images & Graphics
- 21 Gaming
- 22 Other Platforms
- TotalFinder - $18
- Dropzone - $10
- CloudApp - Free
- imguru and imgurBar - Free
- nvALT - Modified version of the lightweight note taking app Notational Velocity. Has the option to save notes as plain text files.
- iTunes - The default audio player. While not very customizable, it features good sorting options and integration. Can't play FLAC files.
- Fidelia - At $20, it's a pretty harsh price for a music player. Unless you really need those advanced features, stick to a cheaper player.
- Swinsian - Also $20, but made by a /g/ user.
- Sonora - Original devs have abandoned it. Seemingly no github activity.
- Enqueue - $10
- Vox - Minimalistic alternative to iTunes that also has the ability to play FLAC.
Command line players
- Webkit Nightly
- Firefox Beta
- Firefox Aurora
- Firefox Nightly
- Google Chrome
- Google Chrome Canary
- Opera Next
- Alfred - Simple but efficient application launcher. Best in combination with the Powerpack.
- Launchbar - A little more complicated than Alfred, has a few convenient features that Alfred lacks.
- Obsidian Menu Bar - Changes the color of the menu bar to black.
- Bartender - Utility to clean up and manage your menu bar.
- Geektool - Add shell scripts and images to your desktop.
- Bowtie - Customizable display for the music you're listening to.
- BetterSnapTool - Adds window snapping to OS X.
- PCKeyboardHack - Change the functionality of the "Caps Lock" key.
- KeyRemap4MacBook - Remap the keys on your keyboard and change the key repeat settings.
- jitouch 2
- Handbrake - Utility for ripping movies.
- 1Password - Safely store all your passwords.
- Growl - Alternative notification system with good customization features. Best in combination with HardwareGrowler. $4 or build from source.
- f.lux - Utility for changing the color tone of your display.
- coconutBattery - Utility for checking battery health.
- Appcleaner - A free and good way to uninstall software.
- DaisyDisk - Gives you a graphical overview over your file system.
- Disk Inventory X - Free alternative to DaisyDisk.
- Gemini - Intelligent duplicate remover.
- Transmission - Simple and lightweight open source torrent client.
- rtorrent - Terminal torrent client.
Images & Graphics
- ImageAlpha - Program for reducing the file size of PNG files.
- ImageOptim - Software for reducing the size of JPG and PNG files.
- Preview - The default image viewing and editing app. Lightweight and functional alternative for simple edits.
- Skitch - Simple editing program for adding anotations to images.
- Pixelmator - A good and affordable ($30) alternative to photoshop.
- Acorn - Similar to Pixelmator.
- Sketch - Another alternative to Pixelmator.
- GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program. Free open source image editing program.