We are still actively working on the spam issue.
This page lists video games ABOUT technology and various sub-genres. If you are looking for a list of games to play on GNU/Linux, then check out Gaming on GNU/Linux platforms.
- Syndicate (1993)
- RTS with a cyberpunk theme.
- Syndicate Wars (1996)
- RTS with a cyberpunk theme.
- Uplink (2001)
- Terminal hacking simulator. Great soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QliQ0livbeQ
- Enter the Matrix (2003)
- Written by the Matrix creators and containing an hour of original, movie quality cutscenes filmed during The Matrix: Reloaded, this game was broken as fuck on launch and disappointed millions of fans. Even with official patches and fan fixes it's still shit. If you're keen, watch someone on youtube play through it.
- The Matrix: Path of Neo (2005)
- While playable, it's still really bad. Gamifies all your favourite Neo scenes from the movies, and has snippets of film straight from the movie. While it is playable, you don't want to play it. Watch someone else do it on youtube, or just play the original Max Payne.
- Darwinia (2005)
- RTS with an AI theme.
- DEFCON (2006)
- WarGames simulator.
- Watch Dogs (2014)
- Grand Theft Auto clone with hacking elements. The most "hacking" you'll ever do is press x to interact with a random electronic thing, good for making webms of killing people while looking at their personality.
- Hacknet (2015)
- Very similar to Uplink.
- Watch Dogs 2 (2016)
- The Saints Row 2 of Watch Dogs. Rather absurd portayal of hacking, will make you cringe at times.
While not necessarily hacker related, playing an ASCII only terminal game is pretty nerdy.
- NetHack (1987 - ongoing)
- A roguelike with a fantasy theme.
- Dwarf Fortress (2006 - ongoing)
- Village management simulator with a fantasy theme. Very deep gameplay for its very shallow graphics.
Main Article: MUD
In the beginning there were text adventures (go north, get key, use key chest). Then there were Multi User Dungeons. Text only MMORPGs usually connected to via Telnet which date back to the pre-web BBS days and beyond. The Mud Connector will help you find a local MUD.
- SOMA (2015)
- Go on a wacky adventure with some faggot book store clerk from Toronto and his autistic sidekick. A very deep and thought provoking game.
- Marathon (2015)
- A Security Officer on the UESC Marathon colony ship gets led on through a convoluted trilogy that has a way better story than that other Bungie game. Shoot aliens in Doom style and take breaks to read story terminals.
- System Shock (1994)
- Another cult classic, gameplay is a bit clunky compared to today's games, but it's still a great game. System Shock 2 is also a good one.
- SiN (1998)
- Dreadlock-wearing Hardcorps Colonel John Blade and his "hip" hacker sidekick JC work to take out SinTEK and their comically sexual mad scientist Elexis Sinclaire.
- Deus Ex (2000)
- *muffled "OH MY GOD JC A BOMB!" in background* A classic that is still widely revered today, it has a rich story and deep gameplay. Must play. While you're at it, install mods like GMDX and New Vision to polish the gameplay and textures up another level.
- TRON 2.0 (2003)
- A first person shooter set in the TRON universe, ie literally inside the computer. Like Enter the Matrix, very buggy at launch, so install the Killer App Mod to fix most bugs: https://www.moddb.com/mods/killer-app/
- Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (2008)
- In a post-apocalyptic world set in Neo-New York, B-Ball is banned and Charles Barkley must team up with a mysterious organization known as B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S. to restore the universe to its former glory. A very troll-tastic game, but not floss. It is freeware.
- Neotokyo (2009)
- A multiplayer-only game with visuals insipred by Ghost in the Shell and Akira, a fantastic OST composed by Ed Harrison and gameplay similar to Counter-Strike.
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (2011)
- It's a prequel to Deus Ex, it's decent, but not as good as the original. Still better than Invisible War.
- RUINER (2017)
- An isometric beat-em-up with extremely fast-paced and kinda hard gameplay. Starring some guy with a dope LED mask, his kidnapped brother, a qt3.14 hacker and a mega-corporation!