We are still actively working on the spam issue.
Central processing unit
The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is the "brain" of your computing device, be it a desktop, laptop, E-Readers, celphone, or tablet. You need at least one physical CPU, and it can have multiple "cores" contained on it.
Desktop and Laptop CPUs
For desktop CPUs, you have your choice of two whole brands—Intel, or AMD.
Main article: (Intel)
Owned by the jews, any mention of Intel on /g/ really brings the anti-semites out of the woodwork. Intel CPUs are, broadly speaking, far faster than anything AMD is capable of producing, but also carry a hefty price tag. If you plan to do CPU-intensive tasks that are also single-threaded heavy, this is probably the way to go,
Intel consumer-grade CPU naming
Intel CPU consumer-grade model names are composed by a brand modifier, four numbers, and, occasionally, an additional letter or two. They are not as informative as their AMD counterparts.
The brand modifier can be i3, i5, i7, or m:
- i3: 2 cores, with hyperthreading
- i5: 4 cores, no hyperthreading
- i7: 6~8 cores, with hyperthreading
- m: mobile, generally comes with a lower core count
The first digit in the four-number sequence indicates the generation of processor, and the next three digits are stock keeping unit numbers, but it is safe to assume the higher the SKU number, the more recent the batch.
The sequence can either end here, or have additional letters:
- K: unlocked
- T: power-optimized
- F: No integrated GPU inlcuded
- S: Same clock for all cores
- H: high-performance graphics
- HK: high-performance graphics, unlocked
- U: ultra-low power
Main article: (AMD)
MOAR CORES Broadly speaking, AMD is best know for their "bang-for-your-buck" ratio, delivering decent performance at a more moderate price. Their CPUs tend to fall into the "good enough" category for most.
AMD consumer-grade CPU naming
The brand modifier can be Ryzen 3, Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7, or Ryzen 9:
- Athlon: 2 cores, with hyperthreading
- R3: 4 cores, with hyperthreading (only for models zen 2 and later)
- R5: 6 cores, comes in both hyperthreading and non hyperthreading models (such as 3500X)
- R7: 8 cores, with hyperthreading
- R9: For anything higher than 8 cores (such as 12 and 16), with hyperthreading
The first digit in the four-number sequence indicates the generation of processor, and the next three digits are stock keeping unit numbers. Note that for mobile processors, Ryzen processors are one generation number higher compared to its desktop counterpart. The sequence can either end here, or have additional letters:
- X: Higher performance
- G: With integrated GPU
- E: Low Power
- H: high-performance
- HS: high-performance, low power
- U: ultra-low power
For older models, AMD consumer-grade CPU model names are composed by four numbers.
- The first one indicates the number of cores the CPU has.
- The second number indicates the generation, but it is also indicative of the core type: if 1 or 2 it's generally Zambesi core, if 3 it's Piledriver core (aka Vishera).
- The third number is a reference of how fast the processor is. A 6350 is faster then a 6300.
- The fourth number is always a 0.