We are still actively working on the spam issue.
This is an article about e-readers which use sexy e-ink screens. If you were looking for information about e-readers which use LCD/OLED screens, go to the article about tablets.
- Kindle Keyboard
- As well as 1st-3rd Kindle generations, when buying used
- Kindle DX
- One of the better devices for reading manga. Although, it may be inconvenient when reading currently running series as chapters must be loaded onto the device manually.
- Kindle Touch
- Kobo Touch
- Nook Simple Touch
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Kobo Glo
- Nook Simple Touch GlowLight
- GApps and SearchMarket?
- Install multitouch Fast Mode kernel
- Disable Android and B&N bloatware by using a SystemAppRemover (or oandbackup?)
- Downclock CPU
# Tweaks persist.sys.use_dithering=1 persist.sys.purgeable_assets=1 debug.sf.hw=1 video.accelerate.hw=1 debug.performance.tuning=1 ro.compcache.default=18 ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0 ro.HOME_APP_ADJ=1 # Dalvik options dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:fast dalvik.vm.heapsize=128m dalvik.vm.deoxopt-flags=m=v,o=y # Battery ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=1 pm.sleep_mode=1 wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180
- Remap buttons with NookTouchTools
- Useful apps:
- Cool Reader
- Perfect Viewer
- APV PDF Viewer Pro
- Root Browser/ES File Explorer
- Calculator MobiCalc
It's possible to install a proper Android system onto the Kobo Glo. However, this does require some work and has a few drawbacks (battery life is the main one). Since the device uses an internal microSD card for booting you should be able to acquire a second one and swap back to the first one in the event that you fuck it up.
The method for doing this uses images acquired from a Tolino Shine reader which has nearly identical hardware:
FLOSS e-book readers
Although the project is now pretty much dead, you could obtain an old e-reader that the FLOSS system openinkpot supported (https://web.archive.org/web/20160314074551/http://morgue.openinkpot.org/). The following models (from http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Openinkpot) were supported:
- Hanlin V3 since release 0.1
- Hanvon N516 since 0.2
- Hanvon N510 since 0.2
E-books come in a variety of formats and you may find one that your device does not support.
- Calibre - (Cross-platform) Converts between almost every e-reader supported format.
- KindleComicConverter (KCC) - (Cross-platform) Converts and optimizes manga and comics to epub, mobi, and cbz formats.
- DjVu file format.